[MPlayer-users] Large delay before video begins playing

Sebastian Krämer spambouncer at skraemer.de
Thu Apr 7 21:44:12 CEST 2005

On Thursday 07 April 2005 13:44, Lorenzo Milesi wrote:
> > I'd like to to that too (alsa non blocking)!
> > Can you please tell me how did you accomplish that?
>
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=DmixPlugin
> [...]
> In Mplayer 1.0pre6 you should use ao=alsa:device=plug=dmix in
> /etc/mplayer.conf to be completely independent from OSS emulation.
> [...]

Does that work for you? I edited /etc/asound.conf and dmix seems to be
(transparently!) available for all apps that use alsa. I'll quote it here:

> pcm.dmixer {
>     type dmix
>     ipc_key 1024
>     slave {
>         pcm "hw:0,0"
>         period_time 0
>         period_size 1024
>         buffer_size 8192
>  rate 44100
>     }
>
>     bindings {
>         0 0
>         1 1
>     }
> }
>
> pcm.dsp0 {
>     type plug
>     slave.pcm "dmixer"
> }
>
> pcm.!default {
>         type plug
>         slave.pcm "dmixer"
> }
>
> pcm.default {
>  type plug
>  slave.pcm "dmixer"
> }
>
> ctl.mixer0 {
>     type hw
>     card 0
> }

Don't understand much of the syntax though. Alsa is terrible regarding
configuration :(  I'm using via82xx chip for sound. If you have a halfway
popular audiochip (or -card), you should find some working dmix configuration
somewhere in the net.

Good luck!

Sebastian