[MPlayer-users] Where to get a binary rpm of mencoder?

Rainer Hantsch office at hantsch.co.at
Fri Apr 8 18:02:14 CEST 2005

Hi!

Meanwhile I get more and more the impression that it would really be a good
idea to install a newer version of mencoder onto my video recording computer
and give it a try.

Because I continuously need a working version (because I record TV series and
don't want to risk something hereby), I will prefer to change only a minimum
of all used libraries, if any, so that I always can call the old (knowing to
work) version in parallel.

Is a binary version available which will work immediately after installing? In
the past I often had the problem that some developers use
special/other/additional versions of some libraries, so that I would have to
change nearly the whole system to make it work. My current version was a lot
of searching but now I am happy that I have a working one.

Here what I have now:
MEncoder 0.90-RPM-3.2 (C) 2000-2003 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS)
MPlayer  0.90-RPM-3.2 (C) 2000-2003 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS)

Mencoder is used to directly record into DivX4 files (.avi container), the OS
is SuSE 8.2 (i586) (2.4.20-4GB on Athlon 2000+XP).

I assume that it is possible to keep all other parts (lame, ..., w32 codecs)
unchanged and only to change the binary of mencoder?
Where can I get a binary which will work? If someone could point me to an URL,
please?

mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch