[MPlayer-users] audio - video synchronization

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Apr 13 04:12:53 CEST 2005

D Richard Felker III wrote:

> dmix is an evil hack, don't bother with it... really, i can't grasp
> why on earth people would want to be bothered with other apps making
> sounds while they're trying to watch a movie or listen to music.

Perhaps the most obvious reason is so that they can avoid missing alerts
which pop up in the background (ranging from incoming IM bells to more
important things), which could be important but would be lost in the
existing flow of sound. (I know that when I'm running a random playlist
to accompany my general activity, I don't want to have to keep popping
back over to where I keep my open IM windows to see if a new message has
come in...)

Another possible reason, if less likely, is so that they can play two
audio files simultaenously; my brother used to like to do that to
compare downloaded audio files and see just how, if at all, they were
different, or for that matter just to hear the slight variations right
next to one another - it can be surprisingly entertaining.

> didn't you abandon windows for a reason?!?

Yes, I did (quite a number of them if I dig down far enough), but audio
mixing issues wasn't one of them.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.