[MPlayer-users] Indeo codecs and x86_64

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Apr 26 20:24:55 CEST 2005

Hi,
On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 06:42:31PM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 April 2005 at 16:06, Tony Bloomfield wrote:
> > 1. Are there 64-bit codecs?
>
> Not that I know of, but since MS has just released a 64-bit version of Windows,
> they might appear. Even so, I've lied a bit. MPlayer doesn't support loading
> 64bit binary codecs, but I'm sure somebody'll try to add support for them when
> they appear.

Which seems they want. I had a look at the Windows 2003 Server for 64
bit, and Windows Media Player and anything that has to do with it is
only included in 32 bit versions - So it looks to me like Microsoft wont
even try to port it...

> > 2. Tried 32-bit mplayer; unfortunately many of the other libs it uses are
> > 64-bit on my system, same problem as the vice-versa situation.
>
> It wasn't 32-bit, then. To build 32-bit mplayer, you must install 32-bit
> counterparts of all necessary libs and point configure to correct paths
> (if necessary). If it's a multi-lib system, like Gentoo or Fedora Core 3,
> you should be able to do that.

Or alternatively install a second, 32 bit system and changeroot into it
(you will have to mount -o bind some things like /proc and maybe /tmp
for X/KDE/whatever).
I very much prefer this approach though it needs more hard disk space.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger