[MPlayer-users] Indeo codecs and x86_64

Tony Bloomfield tonyb.lx at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 27 10:43:01 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 26 April 2005 17:42, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

> Not that I know of, but since MS has just released a 64-bit version of
> Windows, they might appear. Even so, I've lied a bit. MPlayer doesn't
> support loading 64bit binary codecs, but I'm sure somebody'll try to add
> support for them when they appear.

As an old time programmer, I would have thought that providing an interface
between 64-bit and 32-bit code should not be beyond the bounds of
possibility, but since I never did get to learn x86 assembler, I may be
talking from my rear end...

> > 2. Tried 32-bit mplayer; unfortunately many of the other libs it uses are
> > 64-bit on my system, same problem as the vice-versa situation.
>
> It wasn't 32-bit, then. To build 32-bit mplayer, you must install 32-bit
> counterparts of all necessary libs and point configure to correct paths
> (if necessary). If it's a multi-lib system, like Gentoo or Fedora Core 3,
> you should be able to do that.

I should have said it was a 32-bit rpm. But I have Suse9.2 Pro which has both
32 and 64 bit on the same discs, so I guess I should be able to install the
correct libraries, it's just a question of finding them all...

Incidentally, being more a programmer than an audio/video geek, much of what's
said on this list goes over my head. So if anyone could point me at a good
tutorial, especially as regards implementations in Linux, I'd be obliged.
(Answers off list might be more appropriate.)

Cheers,
TonyB