[MPlayer-users] Indeo codecs and x86_64

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Apr 27 17:29:41 CEST 2005

Hi,
On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 09:43:01AM +0100, Tony Bloomfield wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 April 2005 17:42, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > Not that I know of, but since MS has just released a 64-bit version of
> > Windows, they might appear. Even so, I've lied a bit. MPlayer doesn't
> > support loading 64bit binary codecs, but I'm sure somebody'll try to add
> > support for them when they appear.
>
> As an old time programmer, I would have thought that providing an interface
> between 64-bit and 32-bit code should not be beyond the bounds of
> possibility, but since I never did get to learn x86 assembler, I may be
> talking from my rear end...

Not really, since that requires mode switch (similar to the "enhanced
386 mode" back then), which the kernel normally won't allow a normal
application to do. In the long term it's probably more realistic to have
a small 32-bit decoder prog that passes all the data around via pipes.
Maybe this is even already possible now by doing something similar as in
the TOOLS/mplmult.sh script...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger