[MPlayer-users] Indeo codecs and x86_64

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Apr 27 20:13:20 CEST 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 05:29:41PM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hi,
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 09:43:01AM +0100, Tony Bloomfield wrote:
> > On Tuesday 26 April 2005 17:42, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > > Not that I know of, but since MS has just released a 64-bit version of
> > > Windows, they might appear. Even so, I've lied a bit. MPlayer doesn't
> > > support loading 64bit binary codecs, but I'm sure somebody'll try to add
> > > support for them when they appear.
> >
> > As an old time programmer, I would have thought that providing an interface
> > between 64-bit and 32-bit code should not be beyond the bounds of
> > possibility, but since I never did get to learn x86 assembler, I may be
> > talking from my rear end...
>
> Not really, since that requires mode switch (similar to the "enhanced
> 386 mode" back then), which the kernel normally won't allow a normal
> application to do. In the long term it's probably more realistic to have

Yes, it's allowed, the same way wine is able to run win16 apps (and
dosemu too). It's not even that difficult. You just need to setup the
LDT properly, similar to what mplayer already does for loading win32
dll's on normal 386 arch. The only added difficulty is ensuring that
memory is mapped in such a way that the 32bit code is able to address
its buffers and the functions it needs to call.

> a small 32-bit decoder prog that passes all the data around via pipes.

ROTFL! This would be slow as hell. Thousands of context switches per
frame...

Rich