[MPlayer-users] Mapping DVD drive eject and forward buttons

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Aug 4 21:45:18 CEST 2005

Hi,
On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 10:22:55AM -0700, RC wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 00:18:04 +0200
> "Gert van Biljon" <gertvb at webmail.co.za> wrote:
> > With Mplayer I seemingly cannot use these two buttons, my
> > biggest need is the eject button to stop the playback of a
> > DVD.
>
> Hmm... I've never tried it, but if you script a program (like
> http://cdctl.sourceforge.net/) to unlock the drive tray, the eject
> button might function even while the DVD is in-use (mplayer would
> probably hang, but who knows).

echo 0 > /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/lock
(before starting MPlayer) might do the job even easier *g*
If you want that always on, you can put
dev.cdrom.lock = 0
in your /etc/sysctl.conf...
And yes, currently MPlayer will just "hang" when you eject the DVD.
Patches welcome.

> > Is it possible to have mplayer react to input from any of
> > these two buttons?
>
> Not likely.  The only other non-mouse non-keyboard input I can think of
> is the power button.  On ACPI systems, you can map the power button
> to run any arbitrary command you want it to when you push it.  Just
> don't hold it down for more than a second :-)

Actually that should be four seconds (though some bioses allow you to
configure it). And you shouldn't forget to compile ACPI support into the
kernel ;-).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger