[MPlayer-users] Mapping DVD drive eject and forward buttons

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Thu Aug 4 19:22:55 CEST 2005

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 00:18:04 +0200
"Gert van Biljon" <gertvb at webmail.co.za> wrote:

> With Mplayer I seemingly cannot use these two buttons, my
> biggest need is the eject button to stop the playback of a
> DVD.

Hmm... I've never tried it, but if you script a program (like
http://cdctl.sourceforge.net/) to unlock the drive tray, the eject
button might function even while the DVD is in-use (mplayer would
probably hang, but who knows).

> Is it possible to have mplayer react to input from any of
> these two buttons?

Not likely.  The only other non-mouse non-keyboard input I can think of
is the power button.  On ACPI systems, you can map the power button
to run any arbitrary command you want it to when you push it.  Just
don't hold it down for more than a second :-)

If you want to go that route, see the man page for acpid and the files
in /etc/acpi/*