[MPlayer-users] cropping

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Aug 8 15:35:19 CEST 2005

luis jure wrote:

> please excuse if the question is naive or even stupid, but is there a
> way to crop a video without re-encoding?
>
> i have an avi file in mpeg-4 format that i play like this to crop
> black borders:
>
> mplayer -vf crop=544:224:16:8 foo.avi
>
> but it seems i can't just "dump" the output to a file. is that
> correct?

That is correct. There are technical reasons, which I could approximate
if I needed to, but suffice to say that cropping is just as much an
editing of the video as is any other modification of the video stream;
it cannot be carried out without modifying the video stream, and thus
cannot be carried out while copying.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.