[MPlayer-users] Opteron, mencoder, DVD sound

Taylor Smith tsmith at tsmithphotos.com
Mon Aug 8 23:14:15 CEST 2005

Hey Even,

I had a similar problem when I started to use MEncoder. I was told that
sometimes the 3-pass encoding makes sync problems because the the audio
and video are processed seperately. (I don't know what truth there is to
this, but it makes sense to me). Anyway, I've never had a problem when I
do a two-pass encoding this way:

mencoder [source] [video codec and codec options for first pass]
-nosound [output]
-- This pass will work on video, doing the first pass only and not doing
sound.

mencoder [source] [-ovc and options] [-oac mp3lame -lameopts br=128:cbr]
[output]
-- This pass will work on video doing the final encoding and also take
audio from the DVD and mp3-encoding it. I've found that this pass is
usually slower.

Hope I've helped. If you still have problems, email me.

--Taylor Smith