[MPlayer-users] Opteron, mencoder, DVD sound

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Aug 9 03:28:14 CEST 2005

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 16:14:15 -0500
Taylor Smith <tsmith at tsmithphotos.com> wrote:

> Anyway, I've never had a problem when I
> do a two-pass encoding this way:
>
> mencoder [source] [video codec and codec options for first pass]
> -nosound [output]
> -- This pass will work on video, doing the first pass only and not
> doing sound.

With "-nosound" on the first-pass, you risk the possibility of the
second-pass crashing.

Mencoder skips/duplicates frames to maintain A/V sync, so if you don't
have it processing audio in the first pass, the log file might have
less frames than in the second-pass, and it will crash.

If your intention is to speed-up the encoding, it would be just as good
to include "-oac copy" instead.  Alternatively, you can set lame to
'aq=9' for the first-pass, which will speed up the audio encoding
significantly.