[MPlayer-users] can't get rtc to work -FIXED!

Marius Schrecker masch at tiscali.no
Sat Aug 13 17:38:03 CEST 2005

Marius Schrecker wrote:

>> One of the choices is
>
> >HPET Control RTC IRQ
>> which is enabled in the original config: The notes say:
>> (QUOTE)
>> "If you say Y here, you will disable RTC_IRQ in drivers/char/rtc.c.
> >It is assumed the platform called hpet_alloc wi
>>>h the RTC IRQ values
> for the HPET timers."
>
>> Could this be screwing things up for me?

>Apparently there was a problem with HPET on amd64 some time ago. It
>looks like it still hasn't been fixed.
>Disable HPET and build RTC as a module and see
>what happens.

OK just to feedback to the list. That fixed it.

So for anyone else having the same problem with the rtc frequency not being
read as 1024 By Mplayer on AMD64, the solution is one (or several) of the
following...

1. Upgrade your kernel to 2.6.13.x.
2. Make sure rtc is compiled as a module and not into the kernel.
3. Make sure:
Device Drivers > Character Devices > HPET - High Precision Event Timer >
HPET Control RTC IRQ is NOT CONFIGURED in your kernel config.

Gmplayer now fires up without any rtc warnings.

Cheers

Marius

Registered Linux user