[MPlayer-users] Mplayer -slave mode

Jason Tackaberry tack at sault.org
Tue Aug 16 14:52:46 CEST 2005

Hi Inpreet,

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 16:47 +0530, inpreet wrote:
> Mplayer is compiled without GUI support, so I need to choose framebuffer as
> video ouput.

Why?  MPlayer without GUI support doesn't mean MPlayer can't display to
an X11 window.  It just means you don't get the GUI interface.

Anyway, assuming you really do mean framebuffer, this isn't a bug in
MPlayer.  -wid is for X11 windows only.  So you should be using -vo xv
(or -vo x11, if you must).  OTOH, if you actually are using -vo xv, you
should post here the actual mplayer command line that's being run so we
can help better.

>  I have asked above problem on qplayer forum and they give
> the following reply.
> "It might very well be a bug in MPlayer's -slave mode, where I simply have
> to specify -wid (Windows ID). Maybe you can ask the question on the MPlayer
> board regarding slave mode, wid, with the framebuffer output."

-wid and -slave are quite common combinations.  I use it myself.  But,
again, -wid will not work with framebuffer VOs.  (This is documented in
the man page.)  Framebuffer is not a VO where -wid makes any sense.

Cheers,
Jason.