[MPlayer-users] monitor size vs. aspect ratio vs. resolution

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Thu Aug 18 09:52:02 CEST 2005

Rich Felker wrote:

>On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 10:34:50PM -0500, Reshat Sabiq wrote:
>

>>>This is correct. The picture is 4:3, so it will only be as large as
>>>the maximal 4:3 region on your screen.
>>>

>>This particular DVD looked like 720x480 w/o any scaling. But yes,
>>usually it gets scaled to the largest area as you said.
>>

>You seem to be confusing number of samples with image dimensions.

So 720x480 doesn't refer to pixels? I just double-checked this DVD, and
turns out its aspect ratio is 1.78 (on the label). But it looked
distorted for me (too short) when i set it to 1.78 manually. In 4:3, it
left huge margins on left-right, and top-bottom, in both mplayer, and
xine. But xine let me scale it, and it looked good once i did that, in 4:3.

>>My physical dimensions, 1.6, for instance, are closer to
>>1.78. Since physical dimensions are what determines the best aspect
>>ratio, did you perhaps mean that the resolution closer to 4:3 is better
>>because it's likely to be present on physical dimensions closer 4:3? So
>>you would pick a 1.6 physical ratio monitor w/ max resolution of
>>1280x800 over a 1.78 physical ratio monitor w/ max resolution 1280x720,
>>correct?
>>

>I was assuming that whichever monitor you chose would have square
>pixels, so that the ratio of number of pixels would be identical to
>the physical aspect ratio. If this wasn't the case, then all of what I
>said was meaningless, sorry.

You assumption is correct. Physical dimension have a ratio of 1.6
(33.2cm/20.9cm), and so does max resolution (1280x800). Now i follow
your reasoning. Basically, you would prefer 4:3 physical and pixel
ratios over 1.6, 1.78, etc. Partly i agree, but on the other hand,
widescreens allow having 2 windows side by side better. Not sure if that
causes more cons than pros though, as usually maximzed windows are used
more. I think i agree with you about 4:3, in general, which will
probably influence my future purchases. Especially since TV-out can be
used to achieve 16:9 when needed.

Thanks all!