[MPlayer-users] configure script patch

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Aug 19 03:55:50 CEST 2005

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 03:36:32PM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hi,
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 11:17:29AM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> > Again, ATI needs to fix their broken crap. A simple ln -s libGLU.so
> > libGL.so (or .a, whatever) will probably do. Anyway, GL output is
> > slower and lower quality than normal video overlay, so why even
> > bother?
>
> Depends. Especially since OpenGL tends to get better and better, whereas

Is there any way to stop it from tearing yet? If not it's totally
useless..

> XV support with some drivers is even deterioration (the number of people

This is with broken proprietary drivers. Use the free drivers and
everything works, afaik. However I agree, vendors are starting to shit
on their overlay support, because they're stupid. They have this new
slow stuff they're pushing on windows users instead of overlay... :(

> Also it can place the subtitles in the border automatically, which is
> good for the more lazy people :-).

Subtitles in borders make the subs farther away from the actual
action, and thus harder to watch both the action and the subs. Anyway
with most of the stuff I watch there are no borders...

> And the OSD of xv is quality-wise a lot worse, because only the Y part
> is changed, so on a green background the OSD will be green as well. And
> since the values of the alpha blending aren't clamped you get very funny
> effects if you e.g. specify -sub-bg-alpha 200 -sub-bg-color 210.
> Though the mmx code should be easy to fix by using paddusb instead of
> paddb (does plain MMX support paddusb? Is it slower?).

Huh? I've never seen such things, but I don't use -sub-bg-alpha or
-sub-bg-color..

Rich