[MPlayer-users] configure script patch

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri Aug 19 08:36:31 CEST 2005

Hi,
On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 09:55:50PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 03:36:32PM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > Depends. Especially since OpenGL tends to get better and better, whereas
>
> Is there any way to stop it from tearing yet? If not it's totally
> useless..

Well, not everyone is so extreme as you in that aspect *g*. But all
Windows and some Linux OpenGL implementations can enable vsync
(e.g. __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=1 environment variable for nVidia).
I haven't yet found a way to enable it from the driver though.

> > Also it can place the subtitles in the border automatically, which is
> > good for the more lazy people :-).
>
> Subtitles in borders make the subs farther away from the actual
> action, and thus harder to watch both the action and the subs. Anyway
> with most of the stuff I watch there are no borders...

I am not trying to sell it to you anyway, but since you asked for
reasons to use it :-).

> > And the OSD of xv is quality-wise a lot worse, because only the Y part
> > is changed, so on a green background the OSD will be green as well. And
> > since the values of the alpha blending aren't clamped you get very funny
> > effects if you e.g. specify -sub-bg-alpha 200 -sub-bg-color 210.
> > Though the mmx code should be easy to fix by using paddusb instead of
> > paddb (does plain MMX support paddusb? Is it slower?).
>
> Huh? I've never seen such things, but I don't use -sub-bg-alpha or
> -sub-bg-color..

The subtitles becoming green on green background happens even without
those options.
The other thing is beacause no real alpha blending is done, but instead
this:
if(srca[x]) dstbase[x]=((dstbase[x]*srca[x])>>8)+src[x];
Which can easily overflow.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger