[MPlayer-users] Re: In an NTSC world, can DVD drive play non-NTSC discs?

Alexander Roalter roalter at cs.tum.edu
Fri Dec 2 14:05:02 CET 2005

Tobias Diedrich wrote:
> Kichigai Mentat wrote:
>

>>Actually, I think the only places that use SECAM are in Africa, and
>>I'm not too sure there's a SECAM standard for DVDs.
>

> The french use SECAM, but it is just a color encoding, the
> resolution should be the same as PAL (at least in france, in theory
> you could use SECAM with NTSC resolution).

SECAM might be a television standard, but the DVD standard supports only
PAL (if video is 576 lines high) and NTSC (if video is 480 lines high).

The decision, if PAL or NTSC is outputted is only made regarding the
mentioned resolution, no other flags/infos are on the DVD.

Other systems (as SECAM) are *not* supported with DVD, so there you go.

cheers,
Alex