[MPlayer-users] how I let normal users use pci scan?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Dec 13 03:57:28 CET 2005

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

> On Sunday, 11 December 2005 at 18:28, Sergio Monteiro Basto wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> [savage_vid] Error occurred during pci scan: Operation not permitted
>>
>> How I give permission for a simple user use it ?
>>
>> I'd try
>> chmod +s /usr/X11R6/bin/scanpci
>> chmod +s /usr/X11R6/bin/pcitweak
>>
>> and I could do scanpci as a normal user but MPlayer still saying
>> Operation not permitted
>
> VIDiX tries to access hardware directly. A normal user cannot do
> this, but you can use a special kernel module built from svgalib
> sources to let normal users use vidix. It's called svgalib_helper and
> it's described in the docs. However, use the latest version of
> svgalib instead of the one mentioned there, because the latest
> version supports kernel 2.6.x.

Where in the docs is this described? What version should be recommended,
and what (if anything) else should be said about it?

It's better to update the documentation than to leave these things to
fall by the wayside - I didn't even realize that a particular version
was recommended, much less that there was a newer version available.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.