[MPlayer-users] how I let normal users use pci scan?

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Tue Dec 13 01:17:15 CET 2005

On Sunday, 11 December 2005 at 18:28, Sergio Monteiro Basto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [savage_vid] Error occurred during pci scan: Operation not permitted
>
> How I give permission for a simple user use it ?
>
> I'd try
> chmod +s /usr/X11R6/bin/scanpci
> chmod +s /usr/X11R6/bin/pcitweak
>
> and I could do scanpci as a normal user but
> MPlayer still saying Operation not permitted

VIDiX tries to access hardware directly. A normal user cannot do this, but
you can use a special kernel module built from svgalib sources to let normal
users use vidix. It's called svgalib_helper and it's described in the docs.
However, use the latest version of svgalib instead of the one mentioned there,
because the latest version supports kernel 2.6.x.

R.