[MPlayer-users] Encoding optimisation that uses the least processing power

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Dec 17 08:17:46 CET 2005

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 11:11:24AM +0500, Mustafa Abbasi wrote:

> > Isn't all of this in the manual?? Did you even read it??
>

> yes i did that why i know most of the option but you see i am a noob to this
> stuff and while the manpage is good (very good in fact) for a noob like me
> its still quite hard without help.
>

>  2. Unrelated to slowness, but 23 IS NOT A VALID FRAMERATE FOR TV
> >   CAPTURE. The only valid framerate is the framerate of the TV
> >   standard you're capturing from, wither 30000/1001 (NTSC) or 25
> >   (PAL). Anything else will horribly destroy the field structure of
> >   the video.
>

> i do have pal input so i shouldspecify fps=25.???
>
> will this command be more efficient.
>
> nice -n19 /home/mustafa/source_compile\
> /mplayer_1.0/bin/mencoder tv://\
> -tv device=/dev/video0:driver=v4l2:freq=
> 312.25:height=576:saturation=100:volume=100\
>  -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp2:abitrate=96  -ofps 25 -vf pp=lb -ovc lavc
> -lavcopts\
>  vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=600 -o /store/match3.avi\

-ofps isn't needed unless you're changing the fps. just omit it.

and unless your content happens to be "progressive pal" (2:2
pulldown), you have to do something to deal with interlacing. either
encode with interlaced mode enabled (-lavcopts ildct and ilme) or
deinterlace before encoding. the various types of content are all
described in great detail in the manual (not the man page, the html
docs) and especially the encoding guide.

[oops, i see you're using pp=lb already. this may be ok but you might
want to read about and experiment with different deinterlacers to see
what's best for your needs..]

rich