[MPlayer-users] Trouble with Mp3 audio in MP4 containers

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Dec 22 06:45:11 CET 2005

On 12/22/2005 12:29 AM, RC wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:23:52 -0500 The Wanderer
> <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I would count myself rather surprised if the true intended frame
>> rate of the files was neither 30000/1001 nor 24000/1001, since
>> those are the values used by the vast majority of things out there
>
> Well 25fps is also standard (for PAL).

Point, I forgot about that - probably since it's so nice and round,
instead of being weird like the ones I do remember. ^_^

>> In any case, unless I'm much mistaken, fps should have nothing to
>> do with A/V sync; the sync or desync should remain the same
>> regardless, it's just that the video and audio will be played at a
>> different speed.
>
> I'm afraid you are "much mistaken".  The -speed option works the way
> you describe, but -fps does not.  If you increase/decrease the FPS
> value, the video will have increasing desync as time progresses.

<shrug> Oh, well. I put that disclaimer in for a reason; I've been wrong
before, and it doesn't surprise me to be so again. The MP4 files I have
did not appear to be getting out of sync when playing at 30000/1001, and
certainly don't when playing at 24000/1001, but that could be simply
"appear"ance and nothing more.

(I'm still not sure I grasp *why* this would be the case, however...
though that doesn't mean I won't experiment with it for a few files I
have which have varying desync over the course of the file...)

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.