[MPlayer-users] ffmpeg wma2 decoding fails on WMV file where parameters "-afm acm, dshow" succeed.

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Thu Dec 22 06:49:55 CET 2005

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 12:18:16 -0800 (PST)
Philverb <philverb at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I found myself unable to play the file of which there is a sample at
> snacky's
>   http://snackbox.org/mps/wma2failure.wmv
> without feeding mplayer the parameters ""-afm acm,dshow" to get it to
> employ the M$ family of audio codecs before ffmpeg's.

It's well-known that the libavcodec wma codecs are quite limited, and
that the native DLLs work far better.  I put afm=dmo in my mplayer.conf.

If you'd like to help reverse-engineer and improve the libavcodec wmv
codecs, feel free.

--

I'm gonna kill the person who tries to commit this.  -Ivan Kalvachev