[MPlayer-users] RTSP fps bug

Cian Cullinan cian.cullinan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 14:02:21 CET 2005

There appears to be a bug in the way Mplayer guesses and enforces the
FPS value for RTSP streams. In the following two cases, Mplayer
guesses their FPS value incorrectly as 4, and 13

rtsp://noxqt1.harvard.edu/~maui/auntie.mp4
rtsp://stream.lrz-muenchen.de/lmu/av/mitschau/zwick2506h.mp4

However, forcing the fps value with the -fps value fixes this. The
correct value for the first is around 15 and the second is about 12.

For a locally avaible stream (sorry no URL), it guesses correctly at
30fps, but there is still an audio lag of about 1 second. If I use
-fps 30, the problem goes away!
Playing this file from disk works perfectly.

So it seems like there are two separate problems here:
1) FPS is often not guessed correctly for RTSP streams
2) Even when FPS is guessed correctly it does not synch playpack the
way it should. In this case using the -fps fixes the issues.

I am using the latest Mplayer CVS code, livemedia libs from 15.12.05
and latest ffmpeg code. I configure mplayer like this:
./configure --enable-live --cc=/usr/bin/gcc --disable-x264
--with-livelibdir=/usr/lib/live --disable-mencoder --disable-gui
--enable-largefiles --disable-linux-devfs --disable-lirc
--disable-lircc --disable-joystick --disable-tv --disable-tv-v4l
--disable-tv-v4l2 --disable-tv-bsdbt848 --disable-rtc --enable-network
--disable-xmms --disable-runtime-cpudetection --disable-dvb
--disable-dvbhead

This is on an up to date Fedora Core 4 box.

Cian