[MPlayer-users] Re: Mplayer & DD5.1 via SPDIF - I have only DD2.0: why ?

Sasza warpme at o2.pl
Tue Dec 27 22:17:36 CET 2005

Matthias Schwarzott wrote:

>> 1. "mplayer -channels 6 -ao alsa -ac hwac3, file.avi"
>
> To my knowledge this should be done like:
> # mplayer -ac hwac3, file.avi
>

> I have this in my .mplayer/config:
> ac=hwac3,
> ao=alsa
>
> If your amp shows it plays DDx.y this is ok.
> And if your amp shows only DD2.0 then your ac3 stream IS 2.0 and you can do
> nothing to change that.
>
> You can check this by doing
> # mplayer file.avi -ac a52 -frames 0 2>/dev/null |grep ^AC3
> AC3: 2.0 (stereo)  48000 Hz  448.0 kbit/s
>
> This means ac3-stream is only stereo, but this does not mean that the complete
> avi is encoded it stereo but only the first-audio frame.
>
> Matthias

Matthias,

Thx alot for trying help...

"mplayer -ac hwac3, file.avi" was my first try...

Generally: adding -ac hwac3 always cause playing 2-3 times too fast
(regardless rest of options). Changing rest of options cause silence or
loud trash in speakers.

I was suspecting that it might be problem with avi file, but:

-this file plays nicely 5.1 under xine
-I try few other files - the same problem (all OK in xine)
-I try VOB file copied from 5.1 DVD - the same problem

I start to think: what particular is in xine onfig, that it is working OK.

My xine is setup to:
o Set dev used for mono output (device.alsa_default_device) to iec958.
o Set dev used for stereo output (device.alsa_front_device) to iec958.
o Set dev used for 5.1-channel output (device.alsa_passthrough_device)
to iec958.
o Ignore the other "device used for 5.1-channel output"
(device.alsa_surround51_device).
o Set speaker arrangement to "Pass Through".

For
"audio.device.alsa_passthrough_device:iec958:AES0=0x6,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x0,AES3=0x2"
are nice criptic AESx=y settings.
Stripping them out cause that my ampli shows mono - so in xine EAS looks
like crucial to output correctly DD5.1.

Maybe such setting are also require for mplayer ?
But how to enter them ?
Any way, I think - starting problem is too speedy playing. It is always
when I choose hwac3 :-(

milion thx for trying help !