[MPlayer-users] Re: Mplayer & DD5.1 via SPDIF - I have only DD2.0: why ?

Matthias Schwarzott zzam at gentoo.org
Wed Dec 28 00:45:54 CET 2005

On Tuesday 27 December 2005 22:17, Sasza wrote:
> Matthias,
>
> Thx alot for trying help...
>
> "mplayer -ac hwac3, file.avi" was my first try...
>
> Generally: adding -ac hwac3 always cause playing 2-3 times too fast
> (regardless rest of options). Changing rest of options cause silence or
> loud trash in speakers.
>
> I was suspecting that it might be problem with avi file, but:
>
> -this file plays nicely 5.1 under xine
> -I try few other files - the same problem (all OK in xine)
> -I try VOB file copied from 5.1 DVD - the same problem
>
> I start to think: what particular is in xine onfig, that it is working OK.
>
> My xine is setup to:
> o Set dev used for mono output (device.alsa_default_device) to iec958.
> o Set dev used for stereo output (device.alsa_front_device) to iec958.
> o Set dev used for 5.1-channel output (device.alsa_passthrough_device)
> to iec958.
> o Ignore the other "device used for 5.1-channel output"
> (device.alsa_surround51_device).
> o Set speaker arrangement to "Pass Through".
>
> For
> "audio.device.alsa_passthrough_device:iec958:AES0=0x6,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x0,AE
>S3=0x2" are nice criptic AESx=y settings.
> Stripping them out cause that my ampli shows mono - so in xine EAS looks
> like crucial to output correctly DD5.1.
>
> Maybe such setting are also require for mplayer ?
> But how to enter them ?
> Any way, I think - starting problem is too speedy playing. It is always
> when I choose hwac3 :-(
>
> milion thx for trying help !

Problem could be that you already have any sound settings in
mplayer-config-files that disturb ac3-passthru.
Never combine -channels 6 and -ac hwac3.

With -channels 6 mplayer switches to analog 6-channel output and puts the left
and right stereo channel on spdif output as PCM 48kHz.

Matthias

--
Matthias Schwarzott
Gentoo Developer