[MPlayer-users] Problem reading DVD burned on the JVC DR-MH20S

Julián Nuñez julian at proteger.org.ar
Mon Feb 7 22:19:57 CET 2005

Thierry Grauss wrote:

>Le Lundi 7 Février 2005 20:09, Julián Nuñez a écrit :
>

>>Maybe the DVD burner creates DVDs that are only playable on themselves.
>>Try to play the DVD on an external DVD player, or alternatively you can
>>try dxr3player, wich now plays DVDs on SDL too.
>>
>>Regards.
>>Julián Nuñez
>>

>Here is the output of dxr3player :
>
>bash-2.05b$ dumpdvd
>21:26:16: Using /dev/dvd as the DVD drive.
>libdvdread: Invalid main menu IFO (VIDEO_TS.IFO).
>Cannot open DVD!
>
>Apparently the main menu is not created correcly by the dvd burner.
>
>The VIDEO_TS.IFO file contains this :
>DVDVIDEO-VMG

It should contain something else.

>I don't know why there is a problem whith the VIDEO_TS.IFO file. I have opened
>the same file on a dvd I bought, and the content is the same.
>
>It is strange because I can launch each VOB file without any problem, mplayer
>will read them. But if I tell mplayer to open the dvd and launch the film, I
>have an error message. Is there a way to tell mplayer to not care about the
>main menu if it is faulty and then begin playing the film immediatly ?

As far as I know, the VIDEO_TS.IFO file not only contains the menus, but
it contains more generic info about the DVD, such as Titles and Chapters
info. I don't think you will be able to play the DVD correctly without
that file, at least with aplications that use libdvdread (mplayer,
dxr3player, don't know about xine).
My advise is to use a DVD-authoring aplication to regenerate
VIDEO_TS.IFO. Or you can do the thing recomended in the other thread
"Looking for advise - combining..."

Regards.

--
"El verdadero valor esta en hacer sin testigos, lo que podría hacerse delante de todo el mundo"

The danger lies not in the machine itself but in the user's failure to envision
the full consequences of the instructions he gives to it."
    Neal Stephenson

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the
homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of
totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?
    Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948), "Non-Violence in Peace and War"