[MPlayer-users] Mplayer won't play Real Audio (e.g. Car Talk).

Adam Funk adam00f at ducksburg.com
Fri Feb 11 15:21:23 CET 2005

> I'm trying to use mplayer to listen to the Car Talk radio show
> (http://www.cartalk.com/) but it seems unable to find the library.  I'm
> using the mplayer-k6 Debian package (from
> ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/).  Mplayer ends as follows.
> The library file is present at /usr/lib/win32/cook.so.6.0.
> Other users on the debian-users list report not having this problem.  Any
> suggestions?

I finally figured this out.  For some unknown reason, there was an
empty file at "~/.mplayer/codecs.conf", which mplayer read by default
-- then it ignored "/etc/mplayers/codecs.conf".  Copying the latter to
the former fixed the problem; so did deleting the former.

But I don't know why that empty file mysteriously appeared!