[MPlayer-users] cropdetect accuracy with mplayer-1.0pre6a

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Feb 18 02:25:13 CET 2005

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 04:29:53PM -0800, Yan Seiner wrote:
> D Richard Felker III wrote:
>
> >look at the options, cropdetect now has a feature to round to
> >multiple-of-16 dimensions for you, and it's enabled by default i
> >think. there's a way to turn it off though.
> >

> That would be a welcome change!  My one other (so far unarticulated)
> gripe about cropdetect is that it should skip through the movie - say 30
> frames at a time - and cumulatively pick the smallest crop window it
> encounters.  It would be nice if it did this in a script-friendly fasion
> (sorry if this has been implemented)....

smallest won't work very well. :)
consider any case where you find an all-black frame....

largest is also wrong since many movies have stupid intro screens
larger than the actual movie. it's best to just seek to a sane place
in the middle of the movie and let it run there.

also there's no fast way to advance 30 frames at a time, so that
wouldn't really help. (it's just as fast to play them all)

rich