[MPlayer-users] RFE: "Intelligent" DVD title selection

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Sat Jan 15 16:29:56 CET 2005

On Saturday, 15 January 2005 at 14:30, Matthew Mott wrote:
> Greetings mplayer-users,
>
> With current versions of mplayer, the command "mplayer dvd://" seems to
> be synonymous with "mplayer dvd://1", in that it plays the first DVD
> title. However, there does not at present appear to be any option to
> automatically play the longest title - a fairly good heuristic for
> identifying the actual feature as opposed to all the other material on a
> DVD - and this can make it difficult to play a DVD where the title
> structure is not intuitive. For example, the PAL/R2 version of "Shrek 2"
> has 57 titles of which title 35 is the film, which I was only able to
> discover by playing the disc with Xine and looking at the display once
> the feature had started.
>
> Assuming it is not too difficult, I think it would be a very good idea
> to add an option to mplayer to select and play the longest DVD title. I
> suggest that the behaviour of the command "mplayer dvd://" is altered to
> invoke this new feature, so that playing a DVD film with mplayer really
> is as easy as this one line (while individual titles can still be
> selected with dvd://n, as usual), but if this would break stuff the
> feature could still be used with "dvd://auto" or something.

I have a DVD (Babylon 5 Season 1), on which each episode and each extra
is in its own title, so there's no "longest" title, but there are - for
example - 3 or 4 titles of equal length and several shorter ones. First
episode is located - quite intuitively - at title 1. How do you propose
to handle this case?

R.

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://greysector.rangers.eu.org/mplayer/