[MPlayer-users] XV display too wide

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Jan 29 16:27:15 CET 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:01:01 -0500
"Preston A. Elder" <prez at goth.net> wrote:

> > No it can. Xinerama reports the size of the individual screens.
> I am not using Xinerama, just a 'merged mode' - meaning the video card
> itself is outputting to 3 screens, but as far as X is concerned, I have
> only one screen.

Ok, then you hit the rare case, where MPlayer acts too intelligent
for you.
MPlayer assumes, that all screens are 4:3, because a lot of people
were setting their X resolution to something non-4:3 to get more
out of their limited monitor space, thus using non-square pixels.
Though, you are now in a situation where you actualy have
square pixels, but not a 4:3 resolution, which leads MPlayer to
the assumption that it has to rescale. As Reimar said, you
should use -monitoraspect to correct this.

Why xawtv works is also clear: it always assumes square pixels.

				Attila Kinali

--
All christians are terrorists.