[MPlayer-users] Re: [-] XV display too wide

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Sun Jan 30 15:36:25 CET 2005

Hi,
Am Samstag, 29. Januar 2005 16:27 schrieb Attila Kinali:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:01:01 -0500
>
> "Preston A. Elder" <prez at goth.net> wrote:
> > > No it can. Xinerama reports the size of the individual screens.
> >
> > I am not using Xinerama, just a 'merged mode' - meaning the video
> > card itself is outputting to 3 screens, but as far as X is concerned,
> > I have only one screen.
>
> Ok, then you hit the rare case, where MPlayer acts too intelligent
> for you.

Too intelligent? Intelligent would be to ask X11 about the display
properties...

> MPlayer assumes, that all screens are 4:3, because a lot of people
> were setting their X resolution to something non-4:3 to get more
> out of their limited monitor space, thus using non-square pixels.

Because a *some* people do set their monitor to non-squar pixels, all
users of 17" and 19" TFT displays, all users of WXGA notebooks, all users
of ... have to use a command line switch to say mplayer that they do use
a sane resolution?

> Why xawtv works is also clear: it always assumes square pixels.

...which is probabyl right for >95% of mplayer users.