[MPlayer-users] mplayer: relocation error: /usr/lib/libavcodec-cvs.so

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Sat Jul 2 01:04:13 CEST 2005

On Saturday, 02 July 2005 at 00:50, raid517 wrote:
> Can anyone please help? My Mplayer has completely stopped working. Every
> time I run it I get the following error
>
> raid517 at linux1:~$ mplayer
> mplayer: relocation error: /usr/lib/libavcodec-cvs.so: undefined symbol:
> faacDecOpen
> raid517 at linux1:~$

This is what you get for using unofficial packages. The official
guidelines say: no dynamic libavcodec linking, yet other packagers
disregard that.

Remove the package containing the above file and rebuild mplayer.

[...]
> I am running Debian Sid on a 2.6.11.7 kernel.

Tell Marillat (I assume you're using his packages) and Debian developers
to follow our packaging guidelines or the users will continue to get these
problems.

> Please help. Linux without Mplayer simply makes no sense.

Indeed.

R.