[MPlayer-users] How to encode with older codecs?

Fabio S. fast at ferrara.linux.it
Tue Jul 5 16:01:21 CEST 2005

>>  I have the following problem: I was used to encode with mplayer
>>  (1.0pre4-3.2) movies from my vcr in order to see them on my tv set via my
>>  dvd/dvix player.
>>  Everything worked fine with the following commands
>>  mencoder file.avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr -srate 11025 -ovc frameno -o
>>  frameno.avi
>>  mencoder file.avi -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
>>  vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=3000:vpass=1:vhq:mbd=2
>>  mencoder file.avi -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
>>  vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=3000:vpass=2:vhq:mbd=2
>>
>>  Now I updated my pc and I have a new version of mplayer (1.0pre7-3.4.3). I
>>  used
>>  the same old command to produce a new avi and everything was ok. The
>>  problem
>>  is that the new avi is no longer compatible with my dvd/divx palyer (and I
>>  can't upgrade its firmware).
>>

> as was written countless times,

I am sorry but when you have to work, take care of a couple of small
babies and some other similar oddities, it is not easy to keep track of
every single change (and its consequences) in every software you use, if
you are not a technicians involved in the development... :-((
Please forgive me.

> now lavc uses its own fourcc: FMP4. You can
> override it with -ffourcc XVID.

Which one should be preferred between XVID and DIVX, which was suggested
in another reply?

> BTW, can you really hear something at 11 khz audio? :)

I don't remember why, but I remember that for some reason I was forced to
use this. I will give it a try to some more common value.

Thanks

Fabio