[MPlayer-users] Question on converting to DivX4...

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Fri Jul 8 03:31:24 CEST 2005

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 15:25:46 -0400
Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> No, this has absolutely nothing to do with threads. Stop trolling for
> threads.

You must be thinking of someone else.  I don't believe I have EVER
mentioned threads before...

> > Or do you still have the problem if you playback something
> > that was deinterlaced and re-encoded?
>
> Of course you still have this problem. "Deinterlacing" in the stupid
> definition most people use means "throwing away every other field" so
> of course the motion will look choppy.

30fps video doesn't need to look choppy.  Even 24fps video can look
quite good.

I was refering to the issue mplayer has when detelecining/
deinterlacing.  Certain frames are displayed for different lengths of
time, so panning usually looks (unnecessarily) jumpy.  However, after
deinterlacing and re-encoding, mplayer can play back the progressive
(30fps) video perfectly smooth.

This problem does not appear with MPlayerXP, so saying it has nothing
to do with threads seems a rather ignorant and baseless assertion.  Of
course, this is assuming this was his actual problem.  With very little
info, it's hard to say.

> Of course you don't have a problem following what's going on.

Of course???  Jeff just claimed that was a problem...  Go argue with
him.

> But you've made beautiful 60fps motion into shitty choppy 30fps
> motion.

A matter of preference.  I prefer 30fps 720x480 material, rather than
60fps 720x240 material...  (ghosts and all)

If someone needs to be told to stop trolling... it's certainly not me