[MPlayer-users] Question on converting to DivX4...

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sat Jul 9 03:54:14 CEST 2005

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:01:11 -0400
Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> > I was refering to the issue mplayer has when detelecining/
> > deinterlacing.  Certain frames are displayed for different lengths
> > of time, so panning usually looks (unnecessarily) jumpy.  However,
> > after deinterlacing and re-encoding, mplayer can play back the
> > progressive (30fps) video perfectly smooth.
>
> This is true for inverse telecine from 60i to 24p.

Yes.  Can the problem be fixed?  (la la la...  not mentioning
threads...)

> > A matter of preference.  I prefer 30fps 720x480 material, rather
> > than 60fps 720x240 material...  (ghosts and all)
>
> If you really insist on throwing away half the content in your video
> and making it choppy, I won't argue with you. But properly
> deinterlaced 60p video looks REALLY good. The difference in smoothness
> is amazing.

tfields halves the height rather than halving the FPS, so it's
throwing away half the picture as well.  What tfields does may be more
easily reversible than what pp=lb does, but either way, you lose about
half.

Of course, if mplayer could properly playback interlaced video on an
interlaced display, I wouldn't have to throw away anything...