[MPlayer-users] Question on converting to DivX4...

Jeff Clagg snacky at ikaruga.co.uk
Sat Jul 9 04:37:23 CEST 2005

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 06:54:14PM -0700, RC wrote:
> tfields halves the height rather than halving the FPS, so it's
> throwing away half the picture as well.  What tfields does may be more
> easily reversible than what pp=lb does, but either way, you lose about
> half.

You lose nothing! It just distributes it a bit differently. Really I
don't see how tfields is any different than what an ordinary tv does
with its input (other than the interpolation (which is optional
anyhow)).

Anyway, I agree I probably would never use tfields for most of the stuff
that's on tv, but it depends on the type of motion. BTW do you have an
LCD monitor? If so, this may be why you don't perceive the benefit of
the tfields filter.