[MPlayer-users] Question on converting to DivX4...

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sat Jul 9 05:03:07 CEST 2005

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 21:37:23 -0500
Jeff Clagg <snacky at ikaruga.co.uk> wrote:

> You lose nothing! It just distributes it a bit differently.

Either way you want to look at it (losing or redistributing), tfields
and pp=lb are about on even ground.

> Really I don't see how tfields is any different than what an ordinary
> tv does with its input (other than the interpolation (which is
> optional anyhow)).

It's clearly (visibly) different.  Noise, aliasing, jumping, etc.  With
or without the interpolation...

> BTW do you have an LCD monitor? If so, this may be why you don't
> perceive the benefit of the tfields filter.

No, I do almost everything on CRT monitors...  It's not that I don't
see the smoother motion, it's that I do see a lot more nasty artifacts
that I can't stand, and I'd rather have the full vertical resolution
than the full FPS.