[MPlayer-users] Question on converting to DivX4...

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Jul 11 04:26:56 CEST 2005

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 08:03:07PM -0700, RC wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 21:37:23 -0500
> Jeff Clagg <snacky at ikaruga.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > You lose nothing! It just distributes it a bit differently.
>
> Either way you want to look at it (losing or redistributing), tfields
> and pp=lb are about on even ground.

nope. you're just proving your ignorance.

> > Really I don't see how tfields is any different than what an ordinary
> > tv does with its input (other than the interpolation (which is
> > optional anyhow)).
>
> It's clearly (visibly) different.  Noise, aliasing, jumping, etc.  With
> or without the interpolation...

if you look at single frames, THEN FUCKING YES THERE IS ALIASING.
interlaced video is inherently aliased. as long as you watch it
smoothly at 60fps, your eye will mask most of the aliasing.

for stills, displaying 2 fields at once as a pseudo-frame will also
mask the aliasing, and of course pp=lb will only slightly blur a
still. on the other hand, whenever there's motion there is ALREADY
ALIASING and it's impossible to get rid of. even after pp=lb there is
still aliasing.

rich