[MPlayer-users] Re: converting from real media to some other format

Adam Funk adam00f at ducksburg.com
Sat Jul 23 01:19:10 CEST 2005

> From: bnj <bnj.r at web.de>
> Subject: [MPlayer-users] converting from real media to some other
>         format

> I have a realmedia file that I would like to convert to mp3 or ogg or
> wma or even mov or whatever. I tried to do it with mencoder but without
> success and I could not find a good tutorial about converting audio
> files on the web.
>
> Is it possible to convert .rm (or .ram, or .ra) files to other formats?
> How? If you know of a good tutorial, you might also just point me to
> it.

For RealPlayer files or URLs:

mplayer -ao pcm:file=OUTPUT.wav INPUT.rm

mplayer -ao pcm:file=OUTPUT.wav http://example.com/foo.ra

mplayer -ao pcm:file=OUTPUT.wav -playlist http://example.com/foo.ram

To use in a batch job (cron or at) add the -really-quiet option:

mplayer -really-quiet -ao pcm:file=OUTPUT.wav INPUT.rm

This method produces a WAV file which you can then convert to another
format using sox, lame or oggenc.

HTH,
Adam