[MPlayer-users] performance regression in xvid encoding between 1.0-pre6 and 1.0-pre7

Marcin Slusarz mslusarz at alan.umcs.lublin.pl
Tue Jul 26 00:21:40 CEST 2005

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 08:45:31PM +0200, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> On 7/25/05, Marcin Slusarz <mslusarz at alan.umcs.lublin.pl> wrote:
> > hi
> > after upgrading mplayer to 1.0-pre7 i noticed that encoding with mencoder is
> > really slow. as i usually record and encode straight from the tv card and cpu
> > load is at 96-99%, 60% regression is "noticable" ;) here are results from testings:
>
> I changed xvid defaults to improve default quality. Either go back to
> last defaults (look at the man page of -pre6 for that) or look at our
> xvid encoding guide (in the HTML docs) to see what options can be
> disabled safely to improve speed.
thanks for the answer. i found that these options are: vhq=0, nochroma_me,
notrellis (and bvhq=0 but this does not impact performance).
it would be nice if every option would have small marker - eg. +q as
"improves quality" and +s as "improves speed". another thing that might be
improved in the docs are "defaults" - they are missing in many places which
makes a bit difficult choosing right options...

ps: there is a tiny mistake in vhq description - 0 and 1 are marked as default

regards,
Marcin