[MPlayer-users] encoding realplayer audio only streams to mp3

Nigel Jenkins nigel at nebulus-design.co.uk
Wed Jul 27 20:08:19 CEST 2005

Hi

I'm trying to work out if there is a one pass way of recording a
realaudio stream (off the web) into a mp3 file.

I've currently worked out I can stream the file and output it as a wave
file using the following command:

   mplayer rtsp://someserver/somefile.ra -ao pcm

Then I can use lame to encode to mp3.

What I'd like to do is something like:

   mplayer rtsp://someserver/somefile.ra -ao mp3

and encode directly to mp3 format.

I looked at mencoder and it can see the file, but because the stream has
no video it fails with the "Video stream is mandatory!" error.

Anyone know of an easier way of doing it than the two pass method?
Maybe someone is developing an mp3 encoding audio output plugin for
mplayer??

thanks

Nigel