[MPlayer-users] [OT] AC3 vs. DTS

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Jul 29 14:08:16 CEST 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 04:54:23PM -0700, RC wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:14:37 +0400
> Vladimir Mosgalin <mosgalin at VM10124.spb.edu> wrote:
>
> > It is possible to have a long film with very high bitrate and
> > dts track; calculate yourself.
>
> A lot of things are possible.  It's possible they will ditch their
> hardware MPEG-2 encoders for something far better, but I wouldn't
> count on it happening anytime soon.  It's possible they will put just
> high-bitrate video and a DTS track on a DVD-9, but I don't expect
> anyone will do so.
>
> Personally, I think DTS is either a placebo effect, or a case of DTS
> supporters intentionally mastering the AC3 tracks poorly, so the DTS
> tracks will sound better, through no fault of either codec.

Definitely. A better codec never improves quality. It only reduces
bitrate. However the people making the DVDs intentionally master with
low bitrate AC3 and high bitrate DTS (backwards) to make the DTS sound
better. It's all marketing bullshit.

> > Dante's Peak DVD. Average video bitrate of 7.5 mbit/s, English and
> > Russian 384 kbit/s AC3 tracks, DTS 768 kbit/s track. The length is
> > 109 minutes.
>
> 109 minutes is NOT a long movie by any accounts.

No kidding. Try LOTR (extended! :). Or any Bollywood movie. :)))

Rich