[MPlayer-users] mpeg files playback limitation

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sat Jul 30 08:00:51 CEST 2005

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 07:04:31 -0600
Kevin DeKorte <kdekorte at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately this did not fix the problem. Grabbed a file that was
> about 3MB and so the plugin cached 1MB of it and then started mplayer
> with the -nocache option and it played about 1 min into the song and
> stopped (still downloading in the background).

I don't know what to say.  I do this with MPEG video files all the
time.  I start when the file is maybe only 50MB (10MB cache), growing
in real-time, and often watch it for several hours, until it's > 2GBs or
more.

> Also while it was playing I was asking for percent complete and it
> seemed to think that the file size was only 1MB because it it was
> telling me it was at 85%, 45 seconds into the song.

Yeah, MPlayer doesn't re-check the length of the file at all, so you
are seeking past the end of the bar (OSD), so to speak.  It still works,
though.  Even though the length/percentage info isn't updated, mplayer
keeps playing until it hits an EOF.

> Again this only happens with mpeg files. QT and others do not exhibit
> this same behavior.

Which behavior?  The length/percent info doesn't get updated for
any other file-types either.

> mplayer -wid 0x2a0d685 -rtsp-stream-over-tcp -vo x11 -zoom -ao
> arts,esd -user-agent NSPlayer -osdlevel 0 -nojoystick -
> noconsolecontrols -cookies -slave -nomouseinput -nocache /tmp/
> mplayRMN8tM

That line looks fine, but who knows.  If you have an extra
dash in there anywhere, it might not see the -nocache option near
the end.  I can only suggest trying -nocache as the first option.