[MPlayer-users] DVD Menu Support

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Thu Jun 9 05:50:26 CEST 2005

On Jun 8, 2005, at 07.59, Jason Tackaberry wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 00:53 -0400, Wesley Belk wrote:
>

>> Has there been any progress towards adding DVD menu support to
>> Mplayer?
>>

> I've never heard any mplayer developer express anything but negativity
> toward the idea DVD menus in mplayer.  The general response is that
> MPlayer's architecture doesn't allow it (to be done properly).

Well, in a way, it already does. Most menu backgrounds are just
MPEG-2 videos, much like the average titles of a DVD. All that's
missing is interpretation of the menu data, and overlaying of the
cursor (which is stored in a PSD format, I think).

However, can't someone develop a program that uses mplayer as a sort
of backend? Use MPlayer for decoding MPEG-2, then derive the menu
information from something else and overlay it over the MPlayer
output. With MPlayer's highly efficient decoders, it shouldn't be too
much of a strain.

Then there's the non-animated menus, which are usually just some kind
of image with MPEG audio playing in the background. Use a simple
decoder, graphics decoder, and menu interpreter.

So, to say that MPlayer's architecture doesn't allow this is true, as
far as I can tell, but that doesn't mean that MPlayer can't be used
to help find a solution to the problem.

> MPlayer is great, but it's also very crufty and large parts of its
> code
> would frighten small children.  G2 is much needed, but I don't think
> anybody is really working on G2 anymore.

In all honesty, I have no clue what G2 is, but from what I've heard,
it sounds like the solution to every MPlayer problem to ever exist.
too bad it's abandoned. Can't speak on anything here.

> You might keep your eye on the GStreamer project.  There's been
> quite a
> flurry of development on it over the past months since Fluendo came
> onto
> the scene.  DVD menu support isn't working yet, but it's high on their
> TODO list.

Do as the others say: Xine. VLC doesn't have menu support last time I
checked, but I'm pretty sure Xine does (last time I checked).