[MPlayer-users] Subtitles in an avi file

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Jun 10 23:36:53 CEST 2005

Vladimir Niksic wrote:

>> This one again...
>>
>> The only known solution to this problem, aside from using a player
>> which is both able and willing to support something so broken, is
>> (as you've discovered) to extract the subtitles to a separate file
>> and tell MPlayer to use that as the subtitle file. There is a
>> program, written for me by an MPlayer developer some time ago,
>> which can do that automatically; the source is attached.
>
> Just a few minutes after I mailed the mailing list, I remebmered to
> search gmane for the same problem. I found a mail or two, maybe you
> were involved in the discussions, and also found the small source
> code. This is one binary I'll keep.

Yeah, I probably was involved, since I seem to have been involved every
time the subject has come up before; I was the first one to mention it
on these mailing lists that I know of. TTBOMK the source has been posted
only twice before, once by me and once by the author; if the discussion
you found wasn't older than a few months, then it was posted by me.

>> I wonder if we shouldn't make this available somewhere else, so
>> that I don't have to keep posting it every time someone asks about
>> the issue?
>
> That's a great idea. A lot of people don't like the idea of having a
> seperate file for subtitles, but refuse to use ogm, or something
> similar that actually supports this feature, and not this dirty hack.

The question becomes where to post it, then, The obvious place would be
somewher on the MPlayer site, but I'm not sure how appropriate that
would be, or how to do it properly, and I don't have write access there
anyway.

Maybe it would be best to just dig up the gmane URL of the post I made
explaining the situation the last time around, and post that whenever
someone inquires? It would at least save me the trouble of re-explaining
and re-uploading every time...

>> My primary recommendation, aside from the above, is to avoid
>> supporting people who use this form of soft subtitles, and to Email
>> the people who make the software that actually does the work and
>> complain to them about it. I take no responsibility for what kind
>> of replies you might get, however. ^_^
>
> I probably won't do that, because most of the material they have up
> there is already encoded like this, so they probably won't respond
> well to someone complaing about it out of the blue.

I'm sorry, you may have misinterpreted me. I didn't mean to E-mail the
people who made the video files you're having trouble with (although if
you don't, they'll probably keep making them the same way, so you might
at least want to ask if they could do things differently...), I meant to
E-mail the people who make the software which puts subtitles into AVI
files in that stupid way. Allegedly the software in question is AVI-Mux
GUI, but I know next to nothing about it aside from the name.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.