[MPlayer-users] Subtitles in an avi file

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Jun 11 00:08:39 CEST 2005

Alexander Noe' wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Possibly so, but at least it's a dirty hack which is *meant* to
>> support embedded subtitles - and, furthermore, does it in an at
>> least vaguely sane way. (I think you'll have to agree that a proper
>> subtitle stream is less insane than a single contiguous block of
>> subtitles in a completely unrelated format, located at almost the
>> very end of the file.)
>
> The subtitle block is at the end because I was, so far, too lazy to
> implement putting it somewhere else. It's not an AVI limitation.

I never said it was. Or (looking at the above) maybe I did, but I didn't
intend to. The "dirty hack" Rich is referring to is the OGM format
itself; the "dirty hack" I was referring to consists largely of simply
sticking an unmodified (...in format, let's not start that up again)
subtitle file into an AVI file, which is nearly as bad in principle if
not in practice as creating a non-interleaved AVI file (which I'm
assured has happened).

Further, potentially constructive, comment omitted on grounds of
intellectual fatigue... but for the record, if you were to get around to
making a more proper stream possible, then I think about two-thirds of
my objections to these sorts of files would disappear.

Oh: and if I'd realized that you were the person responsible for the
program we were talking about, then I would not have taken the position
I did in our previous discussion about what is and is not the case with
respect to parsing subtitle files. I had presumed that you were just a
random person who happened to know about the program, presumably from
using it, but who was in no position to have any knowledge of what it
actually looked like inside.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.