[MPlayer-users] DVD Menu Support

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 14:18:50 CEST 2005

On 6/8/05, Wesley Belk <wbelk7777 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The reason that I ask is that I am a big fan of the Geexbox Project.
> Here is a link to their site for those unfamiliar with the Geexbox
> Project.  http://www.geexbox.org/en/index.html  As many of you know
> Geexbox is a bootable Linux distribution built around Mplayer and  the
> inclusion of DVD menu support in Geexbox is likely to be based on its
> inclusion in Mplayer.  I agree that Xine and VLC are both good media
> players, in fact I use VLC to watch some of my Replaytv's recordings.
> I would like to see Geexbox adopt a player that can play DVDs with
> menu support, but one of the goals of the Geexbox project is to remain
> small (right now around 6MB) and also it does not include xfree86 so
> that would leave out Xine and VLC.
>

> Wesley

For DVD menu support to be added to mplayer would probably mean using libdvdnav.
The current libdvdnav is not really suitable for the mplayer
architecture, so should not be used in it's current form.

I am one of the authors of libdvdnav and I have plans to reorganise
libdvdnav so that it would be suitable for inclusion into mplayer. The
problem is that I don't seem to have enough time to do the work.

James