[MPlayer-users] mpeg files by mencoder don't work under Windows

John Dickinson john.k.dickinson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 14:51:45 CEST 2005

I have been fighting with a related problem where the goal was to
convert one vidoe format into mpeg2 for portability.

With a lot of help I had success with the command:
mencoder -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:mbd=2:keyint=25:vrc_minrate=600:vbitrate=2500  -oac
lavc -af lavcresample=44100 -srate 44100 -mpegopts format=mpeg2 in.avi
-o test.mpg

I don't know about the stream side of things but this command will
make an mpeg file that can be read by windows media player.  I hope it
helps you.

John