[MPlayer-users] mpeg files by mencoder don't work under Windows

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at email.it
Mon Jun 27 10:42:43 CEST 2005

Nico Sabbi wrote:

>>If someone can provide a mencoder command line that actually works for
>>playing on windows, and also encodable with windows media encoder I
>>would be very happy.
>>None of the commands I have tried so far work. I even tried ffdshow
>>and that fixed the media player problem, but not the windows media
>>encoder problem.
>>

>so media encoder doesn't use directshow demuxers and decoders?
>

>>I want to use mencoder as the "capture any source format for streaming
>>using windows media streaming server". But windows media encoder seems
>>to reject every mpeg stream I try with it.
>>

>mpeg2 or 1?
>what commands did line did you use? did you try to add :tsaf and to
>change the nominal muxrate?
>
>if you tell me what version of wme you are using I will try to
>run some muxing tests myself tonight.
>
>            Nico

I tried some muxing test, and I noticed that in order to make wme work
I had first to unsubscribe a boatload of filters: all of Nero and
MainConcept ones.
Second, I verified that wme, differently to wmp, doesn't absolutely want
to read
mpegs with a pack size of 2352 bytes (vcd and svcd), so only the usual
2048 bytes
are accepted.

mpegs generated with a command line as below:

$ mencoder -mpegopts format=mpeg1:tsaf:muxrate=NNN ...

where NNN = video_bitrate+audio_bitrate+some overhead (something around
5~10% should go,
I used 1600+192 => 2000) seemed to be readable.
I wrote "seemed" because at least wme recognized the file as usable,
but for some still unexplainable reason every file (including mpg
generated by other muxers and avi/asf/ogm)
I gave it shew an encoding progress but no preview (and was encoded at
an extremely slow  speed).

Hope it helps,

    Nico

 Sponsor:
 Ab king pro l'unico attrezzo che ti permette di ottenere addominali piatti e scolpiti in poche sedute.
*
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=2844&d=27-6